Cool Tortellini with Artichokes and Pepperoni
This pasta salad is bursting with flavor. If you fear it may be too flavorful for your kids, make an extra package of tortellini to serve plain with extra pepperoni and olives on the side. This is a terrific dish for a picnic or a casual dinner.
- 9 - 18 oz. cheese tortellini (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) use 9 oz. for the recipe plus an extra 9 oz. to serve to picky eaters, if needed
- 6 oz. sliced pepperoni (pork, turkey, or meatless), sliced into strips
- 14 oz. canned artichoke hearts drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 clove garlic minced, about 1/2 tsp.
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese or use diced mozzarella for a milder flavor, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Cook the tortellini according to the package directions and drain it.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pepperoni, artichokes, olives, and garlic.
- Add the tortellini to the mixture and toss it slightly, then add the cheese, basil, oil, and vinegar and toss it gently. Serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the tortellini and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, slice the pepperoni and refrigerate, drain and chop the artichoke hearts, peel the garlic, crumble and refrigerate the cheese if necessary, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add a little extra Gorgonzola cheese to the pasta and season it with freshly ground black pepper. Tip: To save time, stack the pepperoni before slicing it into strips. Opt for turkey pepperoni, when possible, as it has about half the calories and 1/4 of the fat of traditional (pork) pepperoni. Nutritional Information Per Serving (with 9 oz. cheese tortellini) (% based upon daily values): Calories 435, Total Fat: 20g, 30%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 30%; Cholesterol: 98mg, 33%; Sodium: 1365mg, 57%; Total Carbohydrate: 42g, 13.5%; Dietary Fiber: 6g, 24%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 26g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!