Corn and Bean Salad Wraps with Turkey Sausage
These cool wraps are flavorful, filling, and healthy as can be. If your kids are picky eaters, leave some of the bean mixture plain before adding the dressing, but Scramble recipe tester Alice Clark said she was amazed that her kids ate it. “My daughter is picky and she called it ‘yummy’ and even ate leftovers the next day!” The tortillas aren’t necessary, but my family prefers to eat anything in a wrap.
- 1 1/2 cups canned, frozen, or fresh corn kernels, thawed if using frozen
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned black beans (or use any variety)(or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned kidney beans (or use any variety) (or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper finely diced, or use two peeled and diced carrots
- 3 scallions dark and light green parts, finely sliced
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juice only, about 2 Tbsp., or use lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) (use wheat/gluten-free
- 12 - 16 oz. pre-cooked turkey or vegetarian sausage (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed), sliced (optional)
- 10 large (burrito size) whole wheat or white flour tortillas (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) optional
- In a large serving bowl, combine the corn, both types of beans, the bell peppers (or carrots), and scallions.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 Tbsp. oil, the vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard and add it to the bean and corn mixture.
- If you are using the sausage, in a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat and brown the sausage for 3 - 5 minutes, flipping once.
- Add the sausage to the bean mixture and toss well. Serve it immediately, wrapped in warm tortillas if desired, or refrigerate the salad for up to 3 days.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Remove the kernels from the cobs if using fresh corn or thaw the corn if using frozen, dice the bell pepper, slice the scallions, juice the lemon, prepare the dressing, slice the sausage if using and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Toss the bean salad with a handful of fresh cilantro and ¼ tsp. of ground cumin. Tip: To easily remove the silk from an ear of corn, use a damp cloth and wipe firmly downward on the cob. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 460, Total Fat: 14g, 22%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 15%; Cholesterol: 25mg, 8%; Sodium: 1030mg, 43%; Total Carbohydrate: 63g, 21%; Dietary Fiber: 8g, 32%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 20g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!