Crispy Taco Tumblers
Scramble fan Katherine Newell Smith shared this recipe idea with us. It’s always fun to have a meal that we can eat with our hands (but a fork and knife also work). Using meatless crumbles cuts the calories and fat and increases the fiber, and it’s amazingly reminiscent of real meat. Scramble recipe tester Samantha McKenzie said, “My little one ate 3 and the oldest said ‘Great dinner, Mom!’”
- 12 oz. meatless crumbles or 1 lb. ground turkey or beef if using real meat add ¼ tsp. salt
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned kidney beans (or use 1 1/2homemade beans, or use any variety, or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can) drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa (look for brands with no sugar added), plus more for serving
- 3/4 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 16 egg roll wrappers sold frozen or refrigerated
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup guacamole or sour cream for serving, if using guacamole, see the note below for homemade directions (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, combine the meat, beans, and salsa and cook until bubbling, 5 – 8 minutes. (Note: if you are using meat rather than meatless crumble, cook the meat first, drain if necessary, and add the beans and salsa when the meat is just cooked through and cook for another minute or two to warm through.)
- Stir in the corn and remove it from the heat.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut off the corners of the egg roll wrappers so they are circles instead of squares (this makes them easier to stuff into the muffin cups with room for the filling).
- Press each egg roll wrapper into a muffin cup, leaving as much space in the middle of the cup as possible (see Tip below).
- Spray the surface of each cup with nonstick cooking spray (this isn’t necessary if you don’t like to use it, but it makes them crispier) and bake them for 5 minutes until they start to turn golden brown on the edges.
- Spoon the taco mixture into each of the cups to fill them most of the way, and top each with about 1 tsp. of cheese.
- Bake them for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the shells are golden.
- Serve them immediately, topped with salsa and with guacamole or sour cream, if desired.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Combine the meat, beans, salsa, and corn in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours, until the meat is no longer pink. Prepare, fill, and bake the cups as directed. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Homemade Guacamole Directions: Mash the flesh of 2 - 3 avocados with 1 Tbsp. lime juice. Add 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. garlic powder. To jazz up your guacamole, try adding 1 Tbsp. of minced onion and/or cilantro and/or 1 tsp. minced hot pepper. Hint: To keep the guacamole from turning brown, put the avocado pit in the center of it and cover it tightly until you are ready to serve it.Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook and refrigerate the ground meat mixture, trim the egg roll wrappers and refrigerate, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use spicy salsa, a sharp Cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese, and/or sprinkle a little hot sauce, such as Tabasco, on each cup before serving. Tip: Here’s how our talented food photographer Linda Wolpert makes the taco cups so pretty: When looking at the circular egg roll wrap, imagine that it is divided into four pie pieces. Bring each of the corners of the pie pieces up to the middle to make a flower. Gently settle the flower into the muffin cup, patting the overlaps so that they each go in the same direction. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 167, Total Fat: 2g, 3.5%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 4.5%; Cholesterol: 7mg, 2%; Sodium: 428mg, 18%; Total Carbohydrate: 26g, 8.5%; Dietary Fiber: 8g, 29%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 17g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!