Delectable Sweet and Sour Tofu
Scramble subscriber Monica Smith of Colorado shared the idea for this delectable tofu dish that pumps flavor and texture into our humble bean curd. Recipe tester Alexandra Taylor said: “This was sooooooo good. Only problem was I couldn’t stop eating it. It was the perfect combination of sweet and sour.” If you have tofu lovers in your family like I do, you may want to consider making a double recipe.
- 1 lb. extra-firm tofu packed in water
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 lime juice and ½ tsp. zest
- 1 juicing orange squeezed, or use 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1 Tbsp. Asian Sweet chili sauce or use 1 Tbsp. orange marmalade and 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Drain the tofu and wrap it in a clean dishcloth for at least 10 minutes and up to 2 hours to remove the water.
- When you are ready to begin cooking, cut the tofu crosswise into 3 equal rectangles and cut those rectangles into 4 long strips.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat until the oil is very hot.
- Add the tofu in a single layer and let it cook for about 4 minutes per side until it is medium brown on the top and bottom.
- Meanwhile, in a large measuring cup combine the remaining ingredients.
- When the tofu is browned, add the sauce and let it boil down for about 2 minutes until the sauce is thick. Remove it from the heat and serve it immediately.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine ingredients for the sweet and sour sauce. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/2 tsp. of Asian chili garlic sauce to the marinade. Tip: Tofu, a heart-healthy food made from soybeans, is very high in protein and is a good source of iron, omega-3 fatty acids (the heart-healthy fats), phosphorus, copper, calcium and magnesium. If you think you don’t like tofu, you probably just haven’t had it prepared the right way! Nutritional Information per serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 170, Total Fat 9g, 14%, Saturated Fat 1.5g, 8%, Cholesterol 0mg, 0%, Sodium 190mg, 8%, Total Carbohydrate 9g, 3% Dietary Fiber 2g, 8% Sugar 5g, Protein 12g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!