Egg-in-a-Nesto Pesto Pizzas
These are so adorable and tasty I had to make them twice. We were delighted by the way the egg solidifies in the middle of the spinach nest and the edges of the “pizza” get crispy in the oven. This delightful recipe is adapted from a recipe in “Rise & Shine” cookbook by Katie Morford.
- 4 (7 - 8 inch) whole wheat round pita, naan, or roti breads (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 6 Tbsp. pesto sauce
- 1 cup grated manchego, fontina, Gouda, or mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach or baby arugula
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray 1 - 2 (depending on the size of your bread) large baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Lay the breads flat on the baking sheet(s). Top each one with 1 1/2 Tbsp. pesto and 1/4 cup cheese, then lay the spinach on top of the cheese, forming a ring of greens with a space in the center large enough to hold the egg.
- Crack an egg in the center of each pizza, trying to keep the yolk intact and in the middle of the greens.
- Gently transfer the baking sheet(s) to the oven and bake them for 10 – 15 minutes, until the whites are opaque. If you want a firm yolk, cook them for an additional 2 minutes. (Meanwhile, prepare the salad, if you are serving it.) Serve immediately.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Drizzle sriracha sauce or sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes on top of each pizza. Tip: In these dry and blustery months, add more fresh spinach and other dark leafy greens to your grocery list. They are good sources of vitamins A and C, which your body needs to produce the oily substance sebum, a natural conditioner for your hair. It’s a great natural way to keep your hair healthy and moisturized. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 445, Total Fat: 26g, 39.5%; Saturated Fat: 9g, 44.5%; Cholesterol: 220mg, 73.5%; Sodium: 739mg, 31%; Total Carbohydrate: 33g, 11%; Dietary Fiber: 6g, 24.5%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 22g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!