When I first started making these a couple of years ago, my then-5-year-old asked if he could have them as his birthday cake because he loved them so much! I have used this recipe in kids cooking classes with many a spinach-hater and have yet to find one who didn’t love these.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (use wheat/gluten-free all-purpose flour, if needed) or use spelt flour, I like the white whole wheat from King Arthur Flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine melted
- 3/4 cup milk use any kind you have
- 6 oz. baby spinach
- 1 banana
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease or line two muffin tins.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Melt the butter.
- In a food processor or blender, mix the milk, spinach, and butter until it is completely pureed. Add the banana and vanilla and blend until just mixed.
- Pour pureed mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until completely combined. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and baking 18-20 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 115, Total Fat: 4g, 5.7%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 14%; Cholesterol: 1mg, 0.3%; Sodium: 180mg, 7.7%; Total Carbohydrate: 19g, 6.3%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 10.8%; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 2g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!