Eggplant Pie with Parmesan Crust
- 2 – 3 eggs as needed
- 3/4 cup whole wheat or white flour (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium eggplant peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 cups red pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Beat the eggs in a shallow bowl just a little bigger than the width of the eggplant. Put the flour in another shallow bowl.
- In a large heavy skillet, preferably cast iron, heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat.
- Coat a slice of eggplant with the flour, allowing excess to fall back in the bowl, then dip it in the egg, letting the excess drip back in the bowl, then dip the slice back in the flour to coat it lightly.
- Put it in the hot oil and repeat with as many slices as can fit in the pan without crowding them (4 or 5). Cook them until they are lightly brown, then flip and repeat on the other side, 1 – 2 minutes per side. Transfer them to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and blot the tops with a towel, too. Repeat with the remaining eggplant slices.
- Layer the eggplant in the pie dish (it should be almost full), then top it with the tomato sauce then the cheese.
- Bake it, uncovered, for 25 minutes until it is nicely browned on top. If it doesn't fully brown or get the crust you'd like, put it under the broiler for 3 minutes to finish it off. Serve immediately or refrigerate it for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months. The eggplant is also great as a filling for a sandwich.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Do not fry the eggplant. Omit the eggs, flour and oil. Place a thin layer of pasta sauce in the bottom of the slow cooker (if your sauce is very thick, add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water to it). Arrange half the eggplant slices on top of the sauce, cover with half the remaining sauce, the rest of the eggplant slices, then the rest of the sauce. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.(Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Instant Pot Directions
- Assemble the dish in the instant pot by following the same directions as for slow cooker, being sure to add water to thin the sauce. Cook on HIGH for 11 minutes, then Natural Pressure Release or Quick Pressure Release as desired.
Calories 250, Total Fat: 18g, 27.5%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 18%; Cholesterol: 54mg, 18%; Sodium: 391mg, 16.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 17g, 5.5%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 17%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 7g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!