Farmer’s Market Chicken with Curried Peaches and Onions
- 1 whole chicken, cut up (3 – 4 lbs.), or use pork tenderloin or pork chops
- 1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper or to taste
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 peaches sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/3 tsp. cayenne pepper or use a pinch of chili flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season it with a little salt and pepper.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the oil and spread it around the pan.
- Add the chicken, skin side down, and cook it for about 4 minutes on one side until it is starting to get browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss the peaches and onions with the curry powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Flip the chicken, gently stir the onions and peaches into the skillet, cook it for another 4 minutes and then transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Cook it for 30 minutes, flipping and stirring it once, or until the biggest piece of chicken is cooked through (and has an internal temperature of 165 degrees on a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone). Serve it immediately, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Pre-browning the meat is optional. In the slow cooker, toss the peaches and onions with the curry powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, 1/4 tsp. salt, and a dash of pepper until mixed thoroughly. Add the chicken or pork, and turn over several times to coat. Cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours, until cooked through. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)