Feta Jalapeño Corn Muffins
These savory muffins are so versatile -- they're perfect for on-the-go breakfasts, to pop in lunch bags, or as a side along with soup or salad at dinner. Also, because you can use fresh or frozen corn, they're in season all year round!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup butter melted and slightly cooled
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup low fat milk or use any variety
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray or grease a muffin tin, or line with liners.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the jalapeño and the corn to the dry ingredients.
- Crack the egg into the melted butter and lightly beat with a fork so it is well combined.
- Pour the butter, egg, milk, and cheese into the dry ingredients and stir gently to combine. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a cooling rack. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Mix the dry ingredients, seed and chop the jalapeño, beat and refrigerate the egg, crumble the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and store or freeze the muffins. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use the whole jalapeño and/or increase the cheese up to ½ cup. Tip: To ensure you’re using the correct amount of flour, particularly when baking, spoon the flour into a measuring cup and level it off with a flat edge. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 159, Total Fat: 5g, 8%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 16%; Cholesterol: 27mg, 9%; Sodium: 154mg, 6%; Total Carbohydrate: 24g, 8%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 7%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 4g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!