Garlic Crusted Shrimp with Cherry Tomatoes
This delectable Italian-style shrimp takes just minutes to whip up (as long as you purchase the shrimp already peeled and deveined), but it’s not short on flavor. The shrimp would also be delightful on top of angel hair noodles.
- 1/4 cup panko or traditional bread crumbs (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. large peeled and deveined shrimp (preferably US or Canadian farmed or wild shrimp)
- 4 - 6 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp - 1 Tbsp.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved and seeded (poke out seeds with your thumb after halving)
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper or to taste
- 3 Tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley chopped, or use basil
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Toast the panko or bread crumbs in a heavy skillet over medium heat until they are golden brown (watch it carefully so it does not burn), and then set that aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet, heat the butter and oil over medium heat.
- When the butter is bubbling, add the shrimp in a single layer and sauté them for about 2 minutes per side until they are pink and opaque throughout.
- To the shrimp, add the garlic, tomatoes, salt, and pepper, and cook everything for 2 – 3 more minutes, until the tomatoes start to soften.
- Stir in the parsley (or basil), panko, Parmesan cheese (optional), and toss until the shrimp and tomatoes are nicely coated. Serve immediately.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Melt the butter in the microwave or on the stovetop. Combine the butter, oil, shrimp, garlic, tomatoes, salt, and pepper in the slow cooker, and toss to combine. Cook on low for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 hours, until the shrimp are opaque. About 10 minutes before serving, add the parsley, cheese (optional), and panko or bread crumbs to the slow cooker, and toss to combine. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Toast the panko or bread crumbs, peel and devein the shrimp if necessary and refrigerate, peel the garlic, halve and seed the tomatoes, chop the parsley (if using basil, chop it closer to the time you add it to the skillet), grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Sprinkle in some red pepper flakes with the parsley and panko and/or squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the finished dish. Tip: Dry the shrimp thoroughly with cloth or paper towels so they can get a nice sear in the pan, rather than getting watery. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 205, Total Fat: 9g, 13%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 13%; Cholesterol: 180mg, 60%; Sodium: 325mg, 13.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 7g, 2.5%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 3%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 24g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!