Garlic Lime Shrimp with Black Bean and Corn Salad
- 1 lb. large shrimp (preferably US or Canadian farmed or wild shrimp), peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
- 1 - 1 1/2 lime juice only, 2 1/3 Tbsp.
- 4 - 6 cloves garlic minced, about 1 Tbsp.
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt to taste
- 15 oz. reduced-sodium canned black beans (or use any variety)(or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 1 1/4 cups corn kernels, frozen or fresh, thawed if frozen
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt optional
- 3/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- 1 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt(or use any variety) optional
- In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, 2 Tbsp. lime juice, the garlic, and kosher salt. Refrigerate it for 15 minutes while you prepare the black bean and corn salad.
- For the salad, in a medium bowl, combine the beans, corn, bell peppers, 1 tsp. lime juice, 1 tsp. oil, the salt (optional), and 1/2 cup cilantro (optional). (If you are using fresh corn, boil or microwave it for about 3 minutes before adding it to the salad unless it is super fresh and sweet, in which case you can add it raw.) Refrigerate it until ready to serve.
- Heat 2 tsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. With a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the marinade, reserving the marinade.
- Sauté the shrimp for 2 - 3 minutes until it begins to turn pink, flipping it once or twice as it cooks.
- Add the reserved marinade and continue cooking for about 2 more minutes, until the shrimp is cooked through. Toss it with 1/4 cup fresh cilantro (optional). Serve the shrimp and salad with a dollop of sour cream, if desired, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Combine the juice of 1 lime, the garlic, and kosher salt in the slow cooker. Add the shrimp and toss to coat well. Cook on low for 4 - 5 hours. Make the black bean and corn salad, following the directions above. Serve with the cilantro and/or sour cream, if desired. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)