Giant Smoked Turkey and Cheddar Omelet
This recipe from Scramble fan Richard Brooks makes one giant flavorful omelet that your whole family can enjoy. You can substitute ham, sausage, or smoked salmon for the turkey, or for a meatless version, use sliced mushrooms.
- 1/2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup chopped smoked turkey slices or use sliced mushrooms, sausage, ham, or smoked salmon
- 6 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado sliced (optional)
- In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter or margarine over medium heat. Add the onions and turkey and sauté them until the onions are slightly browned, 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add the eggs and scramble them gently for about 1 minute, until they start to set, while trying to distribute the filling ingredients evenly, then cook the eggs without disturbing for about 3 more minutes until they are firm and the bottom is just starting to brown (check with a spatula).
- Top the eggs with the cheese and, using one or two spatulas, fold the omelet.
- Remove the omelet to a serving dish, top it with the avocado slices (optional) and serve it immediately.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Dice the onion, chop and refrigerate the turkey, beat and refrigerate the eggs, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve the omelet with hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco, or salsa. Tip: If you’re trying to work more produce into your (or your family’s) diet, make these healthy foods as accessible as possible. Keep pre-cut and pre-washed vegetables (think carrots, celery, cucumbers, snap peas) and fruit salad in clear containers in your fridge. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 277, Total Fat: 20g, 30%; Saturated Fat: 7g, 34%; Cholesterol: 258mg, 86%; Sodium: 428mg, 18%; Total Carbohydrate: 12g, 4%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 16%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 13g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!