Garden Lover’s Veggie Stew
This delightful stew is flavored with fresh herbs and a touch of honey, and finally with tangy feta cheese. Many Scramblers tell me this is one of their favorite recipes, and a wonderful way to enjoy the earth’s bounty.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 sweet potato diced into 1/2-inch chunks (no need to peel)
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes with their liquid, or 7 – 8 fresh tomatoes, diced, with their juice
- 16 oz. fresh or frozen cut green beans trimmed and cut into thirds, if fresh
- 1 Tbsp. fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried
- 2 Tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley chopped, or 2 tsp. dried
- 20 fresh basil leaves chopped, or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet or stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and tomatoes and bring it to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat, partially cover and simmer the mixture for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the green beans and herbs and simmer it for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in the salt and honey. Serve it immediately, topped with crumbled feta cheese (optional), or refrigerate it for up to 2 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months. (Add the feta when you are ready to serve it.)
Slow Cooker Directions
- Place all ingredients except the cheese in the slow cooker, and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or high for 4 - 6 hours. Top with feta cheese, if desired, when you are ready to serve. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Instant Pot Directions
- Omit the oil. Add all ingredients to pot except the feta cheese. If using fresh tomatoes rather than canned, add 3/4 cup of water or broth. Cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes. Natural Pressure Release for 10 minutes, then release any remaining pressure and serve topped with feta. (Click here for Instant Pot tips and a list of Scramble recipes that have IP conversions.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Chop the onion, dice the sweet potato, trim the green beans if using fresh, chop the parsley and basil if using fresh, crumble the feta cheese if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the stew. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add extra fresh herbs from your garden if you have any on hand. Tip: It is best to store whole onions in a dark, dry place. Also, make sure to give them some space - they tend to spoil more quickly if they are touching each other. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 147, Total Fat: 6g, 9%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 13%; Cholesterol: 13mg, 4%; Sodium: 627mg, 27%; Total Carbohydrate: 19g, 7%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 16%; Sugar: 9g; Protein: 5g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!