Gnocchi with Butternut Squash, Sage, and Walnuts
The flavors and colors in this dish meld together beautifully for an elegant meal that takes hardly any time to prepare. The butternut squash and sage are a classic combination, and the walnuts create an even more complex flavor and texture which really make this dish something special.
- 16 oz. gnocchi (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/2 butternut squash peeled, seeded, and diced into 3/4-inch about 3 cups
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 6 fresh sage leaves coarsely chopped, or use 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. dried
- 1 large shallot diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts broken into large pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- Prepare the gnocchi according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, place the squash and 2 Tbsp. of water in a microwave-safe bowl and steam the squash in the microwave for 3 – 5 minutes until it is softened but not mushy. Drain it thoroughly.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter and oil. When the butter turns brown at the edges, add the sage and shallots and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 – 2 minutes until they are lightly browned.
- Add the walnuts and squash and sauté it, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until the squash starts to brown in spots.
- When the gnocchi is almost done cooking, remove ¼ cup of the cooking water.
- Drain the gnocchi and add it and the reserved water to the pan with the squash, and stir gently to combine. Mix in the cheese and salt and serve it immediately.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Place the diced squash, butter, oil, sage, and shallots in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours, until the squash is soft. Add the walnuts, Parmesan cheese, and salt, and cook on low up to 1/2 hour more. Serve it over the cooked gnocchi. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the gnocchi (save ¼ cup of the cooking water) and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, peel, seed, and dice the squash, chop the sage, dice the shallot, break the walnuts into pieces, grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Season the finished dish with freshly ground pepper. Tip: Gnocchi are small Italian dumplings typically made of potatoes and flour. They go well with a variety of seasonal sauces, so you can enjoy a flavorful gnocchi dinner any time of year. Check out our Gnocchi with Greens and our Gnocchi with Artichokes and Sundried Tomatoes recipes for some variety. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 391, Total Fat: 17g, 26%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 19.5%; Cholesterol: 14mg, 4.5%; Sodium: 297mg, 12.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 59g, 19.5%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 20.5%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 11g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!