Green Machine Quesadillas
- 6 large whole wheat or flour tortillas (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 avocado halved
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- 3/8 cup green tomatillo salsa plus additional for serving
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for serving (optional), or use any variety
- Spray 2 heavy skillets with nonstick cooking spray, or use nonstick skillets. Heat the skillets over medium heat.
- On half of each tortilla, mash 1/6 of the avocado, spread a handful of spinach, about 1 tsp. of cilantro, if using, and top it with about 1 1/2 Tbsp. salsa and 2 Tbsp. cheese.
- Fold the tortillas in half and add them to the skillets, so that their curved edges point to the outside of the pan and 2 tortillas fit in each pan. Cook the quesadillas for 3 – 5 minutes per side until they are lightly browned and crispy.
- Slice the quesadillas in halves or quarters (a pizza cutter works well for this) and serve them immediately, with sour cream and/or extra salsa, if desired (keep the quesadillas warm in a 300-degree oven while you make the final two, if desired).