Green Machine Quesadillas
Green salsa is usually made with tomatillos and green chilies and is a refreshing change from the usual tomato salsa. Here, green salsa blends marvelously with avocado and mild Monterey Jack cheese.
- 6 large whole wheat or flour tortillas (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 avocado halved
- 1 1/2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- 3/8 cup green tomatillo salsa plus additional for serving
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for serving (optional), or use any variety
- Spray 2 heavy skillets with nonstick cooking spray, or use nonstick skillets. Heat the skillets over medium heat.
- On half of each tortilla, mash 1/6 of the avocado, spread a handful of spinach, about 1 tsp. of cilantro, if using, and top it with about 1 1/2 Tbsp. salsa and 2 Tbsp. cheese.
- Fold the tortillas in half and add them to the skillets, so that their curved edges point to the outside of the pan and 2 tortillas fit in each pan. Cook the quesadillas for 3 – 5 minutes per side until they are lightly browned and crispy.
- Slice the quesadillas in halves or quarters (a pizza cutter works well for this) and serve them immediately, with sour cream and/or extra salsa, if desired (keep the quesadillas warm in a 300-degree oven while you make the final two, if desired).
Do Ahead or Delegate: Chop the cilantro if using, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use Pepper Jack cheese. Tip: Tomatillos, a relative of the tomato, are the primary ingredient in green salsa. Use the remainder of the tomatillo salsa in the same way you would use tomato salsa—over eggs, potatoes, or grilled meats. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 193, Total Fat: 17g, 25.5%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 29%; Cholesterol: 27mg, 9%; Sodium: 490mg, 20.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 26g, 8.5%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 18%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 9g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!