Grilled Mexican Flank Steak
Flank steak is an inexpensive cut of meat that takes well to the high heat of the grill or broiler. I think it’s best with an acidic marinade to help tenderize the meat, and if you can let it marinate for a few hours, or even up to 2 days, all the better. You can easily turn the steak into fajitas by serving it with tortillas, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, cheese, cilantro, etc
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. flank steak
- 2 limes juice only, about 1/4 cup
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- Put the steak in a large flat dish with sides and poke some holes in the meat with the tines of a fork.
- In a measuring cup or bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour them over the meat, and flip it several times to coat it.
- Marinate it, refrigerated, for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days, flipping it occasionally.
- When you are ready to cook it, preheat the grill (or broiler) to medium-high heat. Grill the meat for 4 minutes per side for medium-rare (which is perfection, in my opinion) or 6 minutes for medium.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let it rest for 10 minutes if time allows, then slice it thinly across the grain and serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- There's no need to marinate in advance. Combine all ingredients except the steak in the slow cooker and stir to combine well. Add the steak, turning several times to be sure it's well coated. Cook on low for 4 - 5 hours or on high for 2 - 3 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the spices, make the marinade and marinate the meat in the refrigerator, or fully prepare and refrigerate the steak. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add ¼ - ½ tsp. of cayenne pepper to the spices. Tip: Scramble recipe tester Greg Kershner suggests using any leftover flank steak for breakfast: Dice leftover steak and scramble with eggs, onions, and cheese. Wrap in tortillas and serve with salsa for a Mexican twist. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 218, Total Fat: 11g, 16.5%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 18.5%; Cholesterol: 55mg, 18%; Sodium: 256mg, 10.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 2g, 0.5%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 2%; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 28g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!