Grilled (or Baked) Caramelized Ginger Salmon
My family gobbled up this delectable salmon, suggested by Scramble fan Alice Clark of Seattle.
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (or use any variety) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger peeled and grated or minced
- 4 scallions dark and light green parts, sliced, or use about 8 chives about ¼ cup
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 1/2 lbs. salmon fillet (use wild Alaskan salmon if possible),
- In a large measuring cup, stir together all the ingredients except for the salmon. Pour the mixture into a large flat dish with sides, and add the salmon, flesh side down. Marinate the salmon for at least 30 minutes and up to 12 hours (in the refrigerator if your marinating time is over 30 minutes).
- Preheat the grill to medium heat (or cook the salmon in the oven at 350 degrees for 20 – 25 minutes).
- Bend up the edges of a sheet of heavy-duty foil that is slightly larger than the fillet. Put the foil on the grill over indirect heat (turn off one of the burners or push the coals to one side), and put the salmon flesh side up on top of the foil, spooning the extra marinade evenly on top of the fish.
- Close the grill, and cook it for 20 – 25 minutes (depending on the thickness of the fish and your grill’s heat), until the fish is cooked through in the thickest part - do not flip it. Serve it immediately.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- There's no need to marinate the salmon in advance. Combine all ingredients except the salmon in the slow cooker, then add the salmon and turn/baste several times to coat it with the marinade. Cook on low for 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 hours, until the salmon flakes with a fork. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Instant Pot Directions:
- Marinate the salmon as directed. Put 1 cup of water or broth into the Instant Pot, then insert the trivet and/or steamer basket.
- Place the salmon in the basket and cook on HIGH pressure for 4 minutes and Quick Pressure Release. (Click here for Instant Pot tips and a list of Scramble recipes that have IP conversions.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel and grate or mince the ginger, slice the scallions, make the marinade and marinate the fish in the refrigerator. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add ¼ - ½ tsp. crushed red chili flakes to the marinade. Tip: According to a 2013 study by the University of Liverpool, omega-3 fish oils may lessen the negative effects that inflammatory foods have on the brain and enhance its ability to generate new nerve cells. Many types of seafood are rich in omega-3s including salmon, halibut, and trout. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 300, Total Fat: 14g, 22%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 10%; Cholesterol: 95mg, 32%; Sodium: 920mg, 38%; Total Carbohydrate: 7g, 2%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 4%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 35g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!