Grilled Trout with Garlic and Rosemary
This grilled fish has a wonderful smoky flavor. If you can’t find trout at your market, substitute salmon or other small whole fish.
- 4 trout, cleaned and boned (have the fish market do this) or other small whole fish about 2 lbs. total
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 lemon cut into wedges for serving
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (alternatively, see baking directions below). Rinse the trout inside and out, and pat them dry.
- With a pastry brush or the back of a spoon, brush the oil over the inside and outside surfaces of the fish. Distribute the garlic evenly inside each trout. Shake a little salt over the inside and outside surfaces of the fish. Put one sprig of rosemary inside each fish, and close the fish.
- Keeping the fish closed, grill it for 3 - 4 minutes per side until the flesh is white and flakes easily. Remove the rosemary and serve the fish with the lemon wedges.
- Note: If you prefer to cook the trout indoors, bake it, closed, for 25 minutes at 400 degrees in a baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray - no need to flip it if baking.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Place each fish on a piece of aluminum foil large enough to create a packet. Brush the fish with the oil, sprinkle with the salt, and divide the garlic and rosemary as directed. Fold the foil over the top and around the sides to make a packet surrounding each fish. Place the packets in the slow cooker, stacking if necessary. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Rinse, dry, and refrigerate the trout, peel the garlic, cut the lemon into wedges. Scramble Flavor Booster: Sprinkle onion powder or Old Bay seasoning on the fish along with or instead of the salt, or serve it with barbecue sauce. Tip: Store fresh rosemary in a plastic bag or in a glass of water in the refrigerator for up to 10 days. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 230, Total Fat: 11g, 17%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 13%; Cholesterol: 85mg, 28%; Sodium: 200mg, 8%; Total Carbohydrate: 0g, 0%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 30g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!