Herb Roasted Chicken
For family gatherings or Sunday dinners, I sometimes roast a whole chicken because it seems a little more traditional than my usual chicken preparations. I love the flavors in this herb rub but you can substitute your favorite herbs and spices. Leaving the chicken uncovered gives the skin a chance to get nice and brown and a little crispy. “I know it's tempting to get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, but really, this was super simple and quick to get in the oven,” according to Scramble recipe tester Samantha McKenzie.
- 1 yellow onion halved and sliced
- 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 lbs. whole chicken or use 8 – 10 chicken pieces
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. dried rosemary or use fresh
- 1 tsp. dried thyme or use 2 tsp. fresh
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put the onions in a large roasting pan. Remove the giblets from inside the chicken, and put the chicken on top of the onions.
- Pour the oil on the chicken and using your hands, rub it evenly over the bird. Combine the remaining ingredients in a small bowl, and pour and rub them evenly over the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for a total of 1 hour – 75 minutes (check after 30 – 40 minutes, if using chicken pieces), until it is cooked through (the juices at the base of the thigh should run clear or an instant-read thermometer should measure 165 degrees Fahrenheit when inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone).
- Baste the chicken with the pan juices. If time allows, let the chicken rest for 10 - 15 minutes after removing it from the oven before cutting it. Serve it immediately, topped with the onions and pan juices, or carve and refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Put the onions in the slow cooker. Rub the chicken with the oil and herbs as directed, and place it on top of the onions. Cook it on low for 6 - 8 hours, until the chicken is fully cooked and juices run clear. Optional: For a brown, crispy skin, take the chicken out of the slow cooker and place in a large roasting pan. Brown the chicken under the broiler for 4 - 5 minutes. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Halve and slice the onion, combine the spices, rub the oil and spices on the chicken and refrigerate, or fully prepare, carve, and refrigerate the chicken. Scramble Flavor Booster: Slice a lemon and/or an apple in half and put it inside the cavity of the chicken before roasting. Tip: If time allows, let the chicken sit on the counter for 20 – 30 minutes before cooking it. Taking the chill slightly off the chicken will help it to stay moister during the cooking process. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 269, Total Fat: 16g, 24.5%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 20.5%; Cholesterol: 44mg, 14.5%; Sodium: 493mg, 20%; Total Carbohydrate: 3g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 2%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 14g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!