Indian Spiced Lentils with Rice
Scramble fan Sena Murphy suggested this recipe-- one that proves how amazing lentils and rice can be together. My more carnivorous friends say that this dish is great with a little cooked sausage thrown in at the end.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup conventional brown rice (not quick-cooking)
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 - 1/2 lb. spicy sausage such as chorizo (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed), (optional)
- 1 cup low fat plain yogurt (or use any variety) for serving
- In a stockpot with a tight-fitting lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat and sauté the onions, uncovered, for about 5 minutes until they start to turn golden.
- Add the rice, curry powder and bay leaves and stir it for a minute to coat the grains of rice.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the sausage (optional) and the yogurt, and bring it to a boil.
- Cover and simmer it until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 50-55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble or dice and brown the sausage in a nonstick skillet, if you are adding it.
- Remove the bay leaves, stir in the cooked sausage (optional), serve it topped with a dollop of yogurt or, refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Use cooked rice for the slow cooker version of this recipe. Combine the oil, onion, curry powder, bay leaves, lentils, sausage, raisins and 3 cups water in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours. Add the cooked rice 15 - 30 minutes before serving time. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Instant Pot Directions
- Omit the oil and reduce the water to 2-1/2 cups. Add all the ingredients except for the yogurt to the Instant Pot, then cook at HIGH pressure for 22 minutes. When done, use the Natural Pressure Release for 10 minutes. (Click instant-pot-conversions-are-here/">here for Instant Pot tips and a list of Scramble recipes that have IP conversions.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Chop the onion, dice and refrigerate the sausage, if necessary, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/2 tsp. of ground cumin with the other spices, or stir in a few tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro after cooking. Tip: Before cooking lentils, rinse them under cold water and check them for any tiny stones or dirt. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 280, Total Fat: 8g, 12%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 8%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 320mg, 13%; Total Carbohydrate: 43g, 14%; Dietary Fiber: 9g, 36%; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 11g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!