Italian Sausage Linguine with Grated Carrots
This dish is great for a hearty family dinner or a casual gathering. You can easily expand it to feed an army. Thanks to Scramble member Sarah Burke for the recipe!
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 8-12 oz. sweet or spicy Italian-style chicken or meatless sausage (use wheat/gluten-free if needed) diced into 1/2-inch pieces, or use mushrooms
- 16 oz. whole wheat or regular linguine (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 2 cups carrots grated, or 1 1/2 cups pre-shredded carrots
- 1 tsp. dried oregano or use fresh
- 28 oz. whole tomatoes with their liquid or use 6 – 8 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and sausage for 3 – 5 minutes, until the onions are translucent and the sausage is starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Add the carrots and oregano to the skillet, and cook them for 3 – 4 minutes until the carrots become tender.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar, breaking up the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces with a spatula as they cook. Simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes while the linguine cooks.
- Drain the noodles and combine them with the sauce in a large serving bowl. Top it at the table with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Slow Cooker Directions
- There is no need to pre-cook the onions and sausage. Drain the tomatoes, if desired, for a thicker sauce. Add all sauce ingredients to the slow cooker, omitting the oil, and cook on low for 6 – 12 hours or on high for 4 – 5 hours. Serve it over cooked pasta, topped with Parmesan cheese, if desired. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Dice the onion and the sausage and refrigerate the sausage, cook the pasta and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, grate the carrots and the cheese if necessary and refrigerate the cheese, dice the tomatoes if using fresh. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use spicy Italian sausage, double the oregano, and add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes to the skillet with the oregano. Tip: Shredding carrots is a great job for little helpers, if you have any hanging around the kitchen. Video: Check out Jessica making it on Facebook Live here. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 320, Total Fat: 7g, 11%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 5%; Cholesterol: 15mg, 5%; Sodium: 240mg, 10%; Total Carbohydrate: 51g, 17%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 12g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!