Italian Tomato, Kale and White Bean Stew
This home-style Italian meal will fill your family up with fiber and vitamins. This would also be delicious with 10 – 12 oz. of Italian sausage added with the onions. Scramble recipe tester Anne O’Neill said both of her kids gave this “a big thumbs up!” Scramble recipe tester Jennifer Grosman recommends serving this over cheese tortellini.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 2 - 3 tomatoes diced, with their juices 2 1/2 cups, or use 28 oz. diced tomatoes with their liquid
- 1 head kale chopped (omit the thick ends of the stems) 4 – 6 cups, or other greens
- 30 oz. canned cannellini or great Northern beans (or use 1 1/2 cups home-cooked beans for every 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning blend or use a combination of basil and oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety) or use water (optional)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Heat a Dutch oven or large heavy skillet over medium heat, and when it is hot add the oil.
- Add the onions and sauté them for about 5 minutes until they are tender and lightly browned.
- Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, and sauté them for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the kale, cover and steam it for 5 minutes, then remove the lid, and stir in the beans, bay leaf, Italian seasoning and salt, and simmer for 15 minutes, or up to 30 minutes if time allows, stirring occasionally. If the mixture is getting dry, stir in the broth (or water).
- Remove the bay leaf, and serve the stew topped with the cheese, if desired, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Omit the oil. Combine all ingredients except the cheese in the slow cooker. (Omit the broth if you prefer a thicker stew.) Cook it on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. Remove the bay leaf and serve the stew topped with the cheese, if desired. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Dice the onion, peel the garlic, dice the tomatoes if using fresh, chop the kale, grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the stew. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/4 tsp. fresh or dried rosemary and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes with the Italian seasoning, add a dollop of pesto towards the end of the cooking, and serve it with soy sauce and/or hot pepper sauce. Tip: Don't want to open or thaw a full 4 cups of broth for a recipe? In these cases I like to use Organic Better than Bouillon so I can make as little or as much broth as I need at a time without wasting any. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 200, Total Fat: 6g, 9.5%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 3.5%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 266mg, 11%; Total Carbohydrate: 30g, 10%; Dietary Fiber: 8g, 30.5%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 9g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!