Lemon Rosemary Chicken Thighs
You can’t get much easier than a simple Mediterranean marinade for chicken. You can substitute chicken breasts, but we prefer dark meat because it has more flavor and stays moister when you cook it (plus it’s less expensive). Scramble recipe tester Debbie F. said, “Everyone loved them. And they were even better the next day for lunch! Amazing!”
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lemon juice only, about 1/4 cup, plus 1/2 tsp. zest if desired
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 1/2 tsp. fresh or dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Put the chicken in a flat dish just large enough to hold it in one layer.
- In a large measuring cup whisk together the remaining ingredients, and pour it over the chicken, and flip it a couple of times to coat it evenly. Marinate it for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours (refrigerate it if marinating for longer than 1 hour).
- Heat the grill or a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting the excess drip off, and lay it to on the grill or pan, making sure not to crowd the pieces.
- Cook it for 5 - 6 minutes per side until it is browned and cooked through.
- If the chicken is still pink in the middle of the thickest piece, reduce the heat, cover the grill or pan, and let it cook for 2 - 3 more minutes until it is cooked through. Serve it immediately, refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- There's no need to marinate in advance. Combine all marinade ingredients in the slow cooker, add the chicken and turn it several times to coat it with the marinade. Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Juice the lemon (zest it first, if using the zest), peel the garlic, combine the rosemary, salt, and pepper, make the marinade and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator if marinating for more than 1 hour, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the chicken. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add the zest of the lemon and 1 tsp. of capers to the marinade. Tip: This chicken would also be delicious over greens or in a chicken salad. Consider doubling the recipe and using the leftovers in a variety of ways for lunches during the week. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 235, Total Fat: 10g, 15.5%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 11%; Cholesterol: 142mg, 47%; Sodium: 438mg, 18%; Total Carbohydrate: 1g, 0.5%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 34g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!