Lemony Greek Chicken
This flavorful stovetop chicken, inspired by a recipe from Scramble fan Ginny Maycock, works for people of all ages. The onion topping can be served on the side so picky eaters can have plain chicken, while adventurous eaters can combine the flavors.
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken cutlets
- 1/4 cup flour (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 lemon juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place the chicken between sheets of plastic wrap and flatten with a mallet or rolling pin (unless you are using cutlets, which are already thin).
- In a shallow bowl, combine the flour and 1/2 tsp. oregano. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour mixture and shake off the excess.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook it for 4 - 5 minutes per side until it is browned and just cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate and cover to keep it warm.
- Raise the temperature to medium-high and, without cleaning the pan, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp. oil and add the onions. Cook the onions for 5 - 7 minutes until they start to brown.
- Stir in the lemon juice, remaining oregano, and cheese and cook for about 1 more minute. Transfer the onion mixture to a small serving bowl. Serve the chicken immediately, topped with the onions.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Combine the oregano, oil, onions, and lemon juice in the slow cooker. Add the chicken, turning to coat (omit the flour). Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours (if the chicken is very thin or you are using cutlets, cook it for the shorter time at either temperature). Top it with the feta during the last 5 minutes of cooking. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Pound the chicken if using breasts and refrigerate, dredge the chicken in the flour/oregano mixture and refrigerate, halve and slice the onion, juice the lemon, crumble the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/4 tsp. garlic powder and 1/4 tsp. black pepper to the flour and oregano mixture. Tip: Some fresh chicken products are “plumped” with saltwater or broth to make them juicier. Although this may sound appealing, you’re paying for the weight of the liquid (in addition to the chicken) and may end up with chicken that’s too salty, especially if you add additional flavoring like marinades or rubs. Look at the package before purchasing chicken and avoid products that list anything other than chicken in the ingredients. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 310, Total Fat: 11g, 17%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 15%; Cholesterol: 105mg, 35%; Sodium: 220mg, 9%; Total Carbohydrate: 10g, 3%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 4%; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 42g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!