Light and Garlicky Penne with Plum Tomatoes
This dish hits the spot for simple weeknight pasta that’s great for the whole family. Scramble recipe tester Maria Mullen said, “I love the flavors in this dish and it was so easy. I usually have all the ingredients on hand so it's a great meal to make on a crazy night.”
- 16 oz. penne noodles (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion finely diced about 1 cup
- 6 cloves garlic minced, about 1 Tbsp.
- 4 plum tomatoes (also called Roma tomatoes), diced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Cook the penne according to the package directions until it is al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté them for about 3 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add the garlic and sauté it for about 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the skillet and cook them until they soften but don’t completely lose their shape, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Lower the heat to medium-low if they are sticking to the pan.
- Drain the penne and add it to the skillet with the tomatoes. Season it with the salt and top it at the table with the cheese, if desired.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- Combine all ingredients except the noodles and cheese in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours. Serve over cooked noodles, topped with the cheese, if desired. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the pasta and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, dice the onion and tomatoes, peel the garlic, grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes with the tomatoes, or sprinkle them on individual servings at the table. Tip: Tomatoes are great for your skin. They’re rich in lycopene which helps skin to glow. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 290, Total Fat: 8g, 12%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 5%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 80mg, 3%; Total Carbohydrate: 46g, 15%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 8%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 8g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!