Light Tortellini with Broccoli
This is a light and simple recipe that’s so quick to throw together. The broth gets absorbed by the cooked tortellini, leaving your family with a flavorful vegetable and pasta delight.
- 18 - 20 oz. cheese tortellini (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion quartered top to bottom and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced, about 1 1/2 tsp.
- 2 - 3 heads broccoli cut into spears
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety)
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper or more to taste
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese for serving
- Cook the tortellini according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, broth, and pepper. Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat, cover the pan, and simmer it for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the tortellini, add it to the skillet, and serve it topped with the cheese.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit the oil. Add all ingredients except the tortellini and cheese to the slow cooker, and cook on low for 7 - 8 hours or on high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours. Just before serving, add the cooked tortellini and stir to combine. Serve with the cheese. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the tortellini and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, quarter and slice the onion, peel the garlic, cut the broccoli, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Season the tortellini with extra black pepper and use freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. For additional heat, sauté 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes with the onions. Tip: Broccoli is thought to be a "superfood" for your immune system. It is full of antioxidants including vitamins C and A. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 270, Total Fat: 9g, 13%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 18%; Cholesterol: 30mg, 10%; Sodium: 400mg, 17%; Total Carbohydrate: 38g, 13%; Dietary Fiber: 6g, 22%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 14g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!