Middle Eastern Stuffed Pitas
This is an easy no-cook meal for one of those busy evenings when everyone seems too busy to make dinner, but you want to avoid eating fast food or cereal. This is also a fun appetizer or snack when served in mini pitas.
- 10 oz. hummus
- 1 cucumber sliced
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 yellow or red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 pita pockets (get the softest and freshest you can find) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- Put all the vegetables, mint, and cheese in separate bowls so family members can design their own sandwich.
- Warm the pitas in the microwave oven for about 1 minute until they are very warm and soft.
- Cut them in half crosswise (so you have 2 semicircles), then carefully open the pockets so you can fill them. Spread a layer of hummus in each pita half and top it with all the fillings or whichever sound good to you!
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel if desired and slice the cucumber, dice the tomatoes, slice the onion, chop the mint, crumble the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use flavored hummus and add olives. Tip: Ever wonder what that shiny, waxy coating is on some of the produce you purchase (like cucumbers and apples)? It is a food grade wax that holds in moisture and keeps the fruit or vegetable fresh for slightly longer. If you are concerned about eating produce with that waxy coating, rest assured that the wax is non-synthetic and free of all chemicals that are prohibited under organic regulations. Or, if you have the ability, buy your produce at the farmer’s market where it is so fresh, it doesn’t need to be coated. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 300, Total Fat: 9g, 13.5%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 10%; Cholesterol: 11mg, 3.5%; Sodium: 745mg, 31%; Total Carbohydrate: 46g, 15.5%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12.5%; Sugar: 4g; Protein: 10g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!