Penne Rigate with Garden Vegetables
This satisfying meal, suggested by Scramble member Megan Miller, brings your home garden or farmer’s market bounty to your dinner table. Meat lovers can brown a pound of hot Italian sausage in the pan before adding the vegetables.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage (chicken, pork, turkey, or vegetarian)(use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) sliced (optional)
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 16 oz. whole wheat penne rigate (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 16 oz. sliced white button or cremini mushrooms
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper diced
- 1 zucchini quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 24 oz. red pasta sauce any variety
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce or use 6 drops Tabasco and 1/4 tsp. sugar for a vegetarian alternative
- 1/4 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt or use any variety
- In a Dutch oven or large heavy skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. (If you are using the sausage, brown it now, before you add the vegetables.) Add the onions and garlic and sauté it for 2 – 3 minutes until fragrant.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions until it is al dente.
- Add the mushrooms, peppers, and zucchini to the pot with the onions and garlic, cover partially, and sauté it for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the pasta sauce and Worcestershire sauce and cook it for 5 – 10 more minutes until the pasta is done.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the sour cream and the pasta. Serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 2 days (the sauce gets even better with age).
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit the oil. Mix all ingredients except the penne and sour cream in the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 – 8 hours or on high for 3 – 4 hours. Turn the slow cooker off, then stir in the sour cream and cooked penne. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice, brown, and refrigerate the sausage if using, dice the onion and the bell pepper, peel the garlic, cook the pasta and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, slice the mushrooms if necessary, quarter and slice the zucchini, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Stir in ¼ – ½ tsp. black pepper when combining the pasta and sauce. Tip: You can substitute the equivalent amount of nonfat Greek yogurt for the sour cream. This will give the meal a bit of additional protein. Video: Watch Jessica make it on Facebook Live! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 310, Total Fat: 7g, 11%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 5%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 410mg, 17%; Total Carbohydrate: 54g, 18%; Dietary Fiber: 7g, 28%; Sugar: 10g; Protein: 10g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!