Polenta with Mushroom Bolognese
This amazing recipe comes from a new cookbook called The 30-Minute Mediterranean Diet Cookbook written by my friends Serena Ball and Deanna Segrave-Daly of Teaspoon of Spice. It is so simple and quick to make, but has that comforting depth of flavor that will make everyone thing you slaved for hours.
- 16 oz. white button mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 yellow onion finely diced, about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 carrot finely chopped, about 1/2 cup
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 1 tube plain polenta cut into 8 slices
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano crushed between your fingers
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- Put half the mushrooms in a food processor bowl and pulse about 15 times until finely chopped but not pureed, similar to the texture of ground meat. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms and set aside. (You can also use the food processor to chop the onion, carrot, and garlic, instead of chopping with a knife.)
- In a large stockpot or medium-high heat, heat 2 Tbsp. of the oil.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While the vegetables are cooking, add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add 4 slices of polenta to the skillet and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden; flip and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more. Remove the polenta from the skillet, place it on a shallow serving dish, and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining slices of polenta.
- To the mushroom mixture in the stockpot, add the tomato paste, oregano, nutmeg, salt, and pepper and stir. Continue cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the vegetables have softened and begun to brown.
- Add the wine and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, scraping up any bits from the bottom of the pan while stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook until the wine is nearly all evaporated. Lower the heat to medium.
- Meanwhile, in a small, microwave-safe bowl, mix the milk and sugar together and microwave on high for 30 to 45 seconds, until very hot. Slowly stir the milk into the mushroom mixture and simmer for 4 more minutes, until the milk is absorbed.
- To serve, pour the mushroom veggie sauce over the warmed polenta slices.
Calories: 279kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 5gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 278mgPotassium: 440mgFiber: 4gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 2953IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 133mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!