Penne with Broccoli and Lemon Butter Garlic Shrimp
Butter, garlic, and lemon is a fragrant and comforting trio on almost anything. We love it over shrimp and broccoli for a classic hearty and healthy Italian meal.
- 12 oz. whole grain penne pasta (wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 4 Tbsp. butter or extra virgin olive oil or use 2 Tbsp. of each
- 6 cloves garlic minced, about 1 Tbsp.
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1 lb. small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (look for US or Mexican Gulf shrimp), or us one chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 lemon juice only, about 2 Tbsp., plus extra for serving (reserve the zest for serving, if desired)
- 1 lb. broccoli cut into small florets
- 1/4 tsp. salt or more to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, , parsley or dill, finely chopped
- Cook the pasta according to package directions in salted water, leaving room in the pot to add the broccoli. (If you are cooking a complete 16 oz. pasta package, set aside a quarter of the cooked pasta for future use or for picky eaters.)
- When the pasta goes in the water, heat a large heavy skillet over medium heat, and melt the butter.
- When the butter is melted, add the garlic and crushed red pepper flakes (optional), cook it for about 1 minute until it is fragrant, then add the shrimp and sauté it for 3 – 4 minutes until it is pink and just cooked through, and squeeze the lemon juice over the shrimp.
- When the pasta is 4 minutes from being done, add the broccoli to the boiling water with the pasta, and cover it to bring it back to a boil.
- When the pasta is al dente, scoop out ¼ cup water from the pot, set that aside, and drain the pasta and broccoli together.
- Toss the shrimp with the pasta and broccoli, the salt, and the fresh herbs, adding the reserved pasta water, as needed, if the dish is too dry (or use broth or cream). Serve it immediately.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cut the broccoli, cook the pasta and broccoli and store tossed with a little oil to prevent sticking, peel the garlic, zest if desired, and juice the lemon, chop the parsley or dill if using (do not chop the basil too far in advance or it will brown). Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve it topped with fresh lemon zest, lemon wedges, lemon pepper seasoning, and/or freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Tip: Perhaps you’ve noticed legume-based pastas on your grocery store shelves—they are definitely becoming more popular due to their impressive levels of protein and fiber. They’re a perfect option for those on gluten-free or grain-free diets. If you need more guidance on which legume-based pasta is the best choice for your family, check out our helpful resource. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 266, Total Fat: 8g, 11.5%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 20%; Cholesterol: 102mg, 34%; Sodium: 166mg, 7%; Total Carbohydrate: 34g, 11.5%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 15.5%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 18g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!