Pork (or Chicken) Souvlaki
Souvlaki is a classic Greek meal, served in nearly every eatery in that sun-drenched country. Depending on the weather and your preference, you can grill or broil the meat.
- 2 lbs. boneless pork loin roast or boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large yellow or white onion cut into large chunks
- 1 lemon juice only, about 1/4 cup
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic about 2 cloves
- 1 tsp. dried oregano or 1 Tbsp. fresh
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 6 whole wheat or white pitas (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) optional
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese optional
- Place the meat and onions in a large resealable bag or flat dish with sides. In a large measuring cup, whisk together the lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, and pour the mixture over the meat and onions. Flip the meat to coat it, and marinate it for at least one hour and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high or start the broiler.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, reserving the marinade, and thread the meat onto metal skewers, alternating with the onion, or transfer it to a grilling or broiling tray without skewers.
- Grill or broil the meat and onions for 4 - 6 minutes per side, turning once, and brushing it with the marinade (don’t brush the marinade on the meat during the last 2 minutes of cooking it), until it is lightly browned and just cooked through.
- Meanwhile, warm the pita in the oven, microwave, or on the grill. (If grilling the pitas, brush them with olive oil first and make sure to flip them over so both sides are warmed.) To serve it, wrap the souvlaki in the warm pita, topped with the feta cheese (optional).
Slow Cooker Directions
- Choose wooden skewers that will fit into your slow cooker, cutting to fit if necessary. Make the marinade as directed. Thread the meat, alternating with the onion, onto the skewers, then place in the slow cooker. Brush or drizzle the marinade over the kebabs, turning to coat. Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or on high for 4 - 6 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Trim and cut the pork or chicken and refrigerate, cut the onion, juice the lemon, peel the garlic, make the marinade and marinate the meat in the refrigerator, thread the meat and onions onto the skewers and refrigerate, crumble the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the oregano and pepper and serve it with chopped tomatoes. Tip: If you're a frequent chicken eater, pork, the other white meat, is delicious in this recipe and provides a nice change of pace. Plus it's as low in fat as chicken breasts and has fewer calories! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 323, Total Fat: 19g, 30%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 17%; Cholesterol: 91mg, 30%; Sodium: 229mg, 10%; Total Carbohydrate: 3g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 2%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 33g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!