Pollo a la Brasa (Peruvian Grilled Chicken)
Scramble fan Consie Mote asked if we could create a version of the delicious grilled chicken sold at so many Peruvian grilled chicken outlets around the country and we did it! It’s super juicy and delicious. If you can, marinate the chicken for 24 hours for enhanced flavor.
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lime juice only, about 2 Tbsp.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 1 whole chicken quartered
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the chicken. Put the chicken in a large flat container with a tight fitting lid and pour the marinade evenly over it. Flip, cover, and shake the chicken to coat it in the marinade. Marinate the chicken for at least 8 hours and up to 24 hours (the longer the better), shaking or flipping it a couple of times. By the time the chicken is done marinating, most of the marinade will have been absorbed.
- Preheat the grill to high heat and then turn the back burner to its lowest setting and put the chicken, skin side down, over the back burner, so it is over indirect heat.
- Grill the chicken for 15 - 20 minutes, then flip it and grill it for 15 – 20 more minutes until the skin is nicely browned and the chicken is cooked through (cut into the thickest part of the breast with a sharp knife to make sure there is no pink remaining). (Alternatively, you can roast the chicken at 450 degrees, covered for 15 minutes and then uncovered for 20 – 25 minutes.)
- Slice the chicken to serve it, if desired. Serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions:
- In the slow cooker, whisk together all the ingredients except the chicken. Add the chicken, then flip several times to coat it. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the spices, juice the lime, peel the garlic, make the marinade and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, or fully prepare and refrigerate the chicken. Scramble Flavor Booster: Marinate the chicken for 24 hours and add ½ - 1 tsp. lime zest to the marinade. Serve it with salsa or hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco. Tip: While there are many take-out restaurants that prepare this delicious Peruvian-style chicken, it’s so easy (and less costly) to prepare it at home. It’s also a great dish to make for a casual get together as it requires very little attention while it cooks and can be made in advance. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 400, Total Fat: 24g, 37%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 30%; Cholesterol: 145mg, 48%; Sodium: 135mg, 6%; Total Carbohydrate: 4g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 39g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!