Potato and Kale Salad with Dijon Vinaigrette
Adding kale to potato salad makes it not only much healthier, but also more interesting looking. I know the classic American potato salad features mayonnaise, but I enjoy it more with a zesty vinaigrette.
- 2 lbs. russet potatoes peeled and cut into bit size pieces
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 garlic cloves peeled and sliced
- 10 leaves kale stripped from stems and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. honey or agave nectar
- 1 tsp. hot pepper sauce such as Tabasco, optional
- 1/4 lemon juice only, about 1 Tbsp.
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil the highest quality you have
- 2 ribs celery thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh tarragon chopped, optional
- 1 Tbsp. capers optional
- Cover the potatoes with plenty of water, bring the water to a boil, add 1 tsp. salt and simmer the potatoes and garlic until the potatoes are just fork tender, 8 – 10 minutes. For the final 2 minutes of cooking, add the kale into the water with the potatoes.
- Meanwhile, in the bottom of a large serving bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, hot pepper sauce, lemon and olive oil.
- Drain the potatoes, add them to the bowl with the sauce and toss to coat, and gently stir in the celery, tarragon and capers (optional).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve it warm, or chill it for at least 30 minutes and up to 3 days, and serve it cold.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel and cut potatoes (store, covered with water, in the refrigerator), peel and slice the garlic, chop the kale and tarragon, slice the celery, combine the vinaigrette mixture. Scramble Flavor Booster: Double the hot sauce, use the optional tarragon and capers. Tip: To strip kale from its stem, grab hold of the bottom of the stem with one hand and slide the thumb and forefinger of your other hand up the stem. Discard the stems. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Calories: 198kcalCarbohydrates: 27gProtein: 5gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 6gSodium: 403mgPotassium: 800mgFiber: 5gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 7209IUVitamin C: 77mgCalcium: 224mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!