Risotto with Sausage, Mushrooms, and Peas
Scramble devotee Karen Murray shared this terrific and easy recipe. According to Scramble recipe tester Debbie Firestone, the risotto smells as “heavenly” as it tastes. You can use any kind of sausage your family likes.
- 1 lb. Italian sausage or vegetarian sausage (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 8 oz. sliced cremini or white button mushrooms
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 - 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety)
- 1 cup white wine or use additional broth
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- Remove the sausages from their casings and crumble them coarsely (if using pre-cooked or meatless sausage, dice it into 1/4-inch pieces).
- In a large skillet or saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, sausage, and garlic and sauté them until the onions are tender and the sausage is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and rice, and stir until the rice is coated and lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, wine, and pepper and bring it to a boil and give it a stir.
- Cover and simmer the mixture for 15 - 20 minutes until the rice is tender. Stir in the peas and cheese and serve it immediately.
Instant Pot Directions
- Reduce the liquid (broth and wine) to a total of 3 cups. Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode. Add 2 Tbsp. of oil and then the sausage. Break up the sausage, then add the onions and garlic. Sauté until onions are starting to soften, 5 - 7 minutes, then add the rice and sauté, until it begins to soften, 3 - 4 minutes. Turn off the SAUTE mode and add the mushrooms and liquid. Pressure cook on HIGH pressure for 5 minutes, use Quick Pressure Release, and add in the frozen peas. Stir and then put the lid on to let the rice soak up any excess liquid, 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in the cheese. (Click here for Instant Pot tips and a list of Scramble recipes that have IP conversions.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Dice the sausage if necessary and the onion and refrigerate the sausage, peel the garlic, slice the mushrooms if necessary, grate or shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use spicy Italian sausage and season the risotto with lots of freshly ground black pepper and freshly grated cheese. Tip: If you don’t like mushrooms, you can leave them out of this dish and it will still taste divine. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 510, Total Fat: 28g, 43%; Saturated Fat: 9g, 45%; Cholesterol: 50mg, 17%; Sodium: 560mg, 23%; Total Carbohydrate: 44g, 15%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 8%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 17g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!