Roasted Carrot and Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
Oven-roasted vegetables make a lovely, colorful side dish. Enjoy with some good crusty bread.
- 1 lb. multi-colored carrots sliced, or use regular carrots (halved and sliced if they are very large)
- 3/4 lb. beets peeled and chopped into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp. walnuts toasted
- 1/4 lemon juice only (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1 - 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme or use 1/4 tsp. dried
- 1 crumbled goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the carrots and beets with the oil and salt. Spread them on a baking sheet and roast them for 30 minutes, tossing once after 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the walnuts at 300 degrees in a toaster oven or in a pan over medium-low heat for about 4 minutes until they are golden but watch them closely so they don’t burn. Let them cool and break them into smaller pieces.
- Return the carrots and beets to the bowl and toss them with the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and thyme.
- Lay them on a platter and sprinkle the cheese and walnuts over them and season them with freshly ground pepper. Serve them immediately or cover them for up to an hour.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 123, Total Fat: 8g, 12.5%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 7.5%; Cholesterol: 5mg, 1.5%; Sodium: 230mg, 9.5%; Total Carbohydrate: 12g, 4%; Dietary Fiber: 4g, 14.5%; Sugar: 7g; Protein: 3g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Holiday Eating: How to Let Go of the Guilt and Enjoy the Food
Friday 3rd of July 2020
[…] Home cooked foods are almost always going to be healthier than the store-bought or restaurant alternatives, so I try to make my own wherever possible. From cookies and cakes to soups and salads. […]