Roasted Sweet Potato and Apple Soup
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 firm apple such as Gala or Jonagold, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 medium yellow onion peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste optional
- 3 - 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup low fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put the sweet potatoes, apples, onions and garlic in a roasting pan. Toss them with the oil and a few shakes of salt and pepper (optional).
- Roast, tossing every 10 minutes, until they are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Puree the vegetable/apple mixture in a blender or food processor (or in the pot using an immersion blender), adding just enough broth to cover it. Add more broth to the blender until the soup reaches the desired consistency, so it is smooth and not too thick. If you are using a blender, you will probably need to puree the soup in two batches.
- Warm the soup over low heat in a stockpot until ready to serve, refrigerate it for up to 1 day, or freeze it for up to 3 months. Stir in sour cream at the table for a creamier taste, if desired.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Put all ingredients, except the sour cream, in the slow cooker and cook on low 8 - 12 hours or on high 4 - 6 hours.
- Puree the vegetable chunks using an immersion blender (carefully, as the soup has a tendency to splatter), or use a food processor or blender as directed. Return the soup to the slow cooker and stir to mix. Stir in the sour cream at serving time, if desired. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)