Sauteed Chicken with Lemon and Capers
A great recipe from Scramble member Janet Krolman, this chicken is so quick to prepare and makes a nice light meal. The sauce is appealing to many kids, but if your children are very picky you can leave some chicken plain rather than topping it with the lemon caper sauce.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced, about 1 1/2 tsp.
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp. salt or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper or to taste
- 1 - 1 1/2 lemon juice only, 1/4 cup
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- 1 Tbsp. honey optional
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and sauté it for about 30 seconds.
- Add the chicken and cook it, tossing often, until just cooked through (no longer pink), about 5 minutes. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, remove it to a plate, and cover it loosely.
- Add the lemon juice and capers to the pan and simmer the mixture for about 3 minutes until the sauce is slightly reduced.
- Stir in the honey (optional), remove it from the heat and pour the sauce over the chicken. Serve it immediately.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit the oil. Mix all the ingredients other than the chicken in the slow cooker. Once combined, add the chicken. Cook on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours, until the chicken is cooked through. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel the garlic, cut the chicken and refrigerate, juice the lemon. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add ¼ tsp. dried oregano to the lemon caper sauce. Tip: When cutting the chicken, try to make the pieces uniform in size, which will help the chicken cook evenly. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 270, Total Fat: 9g, 14%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 8%; Cholesterol: 100mg, 33%; Sodium: 250mg, 10%; Total Carbohydrate: 6g, 2%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 39g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!