Simple Spice-Rubbed Chicken Thighs
If your kids are curious about cooking (or even if they aren't), this is a great recipe to introduce spices with. Invite them to create the spice rub so that they can see how simple a flavorful, delectable dinner can be to prepare!
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, sea salt, or other coarse salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 lbs. bone-in chicken thighs
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients except the chicken.
- Sprinkle and rub the spices all over the chicken.
- Put the chicken on the baking sheet, skin side up, and bake them for 30 minutes until the skin is dark and crispy. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Prepare the chicken with the rub as directed. Place in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 7 hours, or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Combine the dry seasonings, rub the spices onto the chicken and refrigerate it, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use chipotle or hot Mexican chili powder in place of some or all of the chili powder, or add 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper to the spice blend. Tip: This is a great spice mixture to double and use in another recipe. It would also be tasty on pork or fish fillets or tossed with vegetables before roasting them. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 481, Total Fat: 35g, 53%; Saturated Fat: 10g, 49.5%; Cholesterol: 190mg, 63.5%; Sodium: 338mg, 14%; Total Carbohydrate: 1g, 0%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 1%; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 39g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!