Spicy Szechuan Green Beans and Ground Turkey, Pork, or Meatless Crumbles
This super quick meal will make veggie and meat lovers alike happy! Scramble recipe tester Greg Kershner said, “This was fantastic! Super fresh. Super tasty. Filling. Unique. Just perfect.” Serve it with steamed brown or white rice.
- 3 Tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce or tamari, use wheat/gluten-free, if needed
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine or use mirin or dry sherry
- 1 tsp. brown sugar optional
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes to taste, optional
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil or use coconut oil
- 1 lb. green beans ends trimmed and cut in half (or use frozen)
- 1 lb. ground turkey or use ground pork or meatless crumbles
- 4 cloves garlic minced, about 2 tsp.
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 cup scallions or use chives, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, cornstarch and red pepper flakes (optional). Set it aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat and add the oil.
- When it is smoking, add the beans (if using frozen beans, defrost them first) and cook, stirring frequently, until they are shriveled and black in spots, 5 – 8 minutes. Reduce heat if necessary to keep them from burning. Transfer the beans to a plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the turkey, pork, or meatless crumble. Cook until no pink remains, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger, stirring until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Return the beans to the pan, stir the sauce again, and add it to the pan. Cook until heated through and sauce is thickened, about 1 minute. Stir in scallions or chives and serve it immediately, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days, or freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Whisk together the sauce ingredients as directed, adding the garlic and ginger as well. Place the turkey, pork, or meatless crumble into the slow cooker, lay the green beans on top, and pour the sauce over all. Cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or on high for 3 – 4 hours, until the meat is cooked through with no pink remaining. Top it with the scallions before serving. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Prepare the sauce, trim and cut the green beans if using fresh or thaw if using frozen, brown the turkey pork, or meatless crumble and refrigerate, peel the garlic, peel and mince the ginger, slice the scallions or chives, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use the optional red pepper flakes and sprinkle sesame seeds on the finished dish. Tip: For a really quick way to trim green beans, line up the stems (the tough end) of the beans on a cutting board, making sure that the stem ends all face the same direction. Push the ends up against the palm of your hand so they're even, and cut off the stem with a chef's knife. Then repeat the process on the other end of the beans. Video: Watch Jessica making the dish on Facebook Live! Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Calories: 148kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 20gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0.03gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 314mgPotassium: 443mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 643IUVitamin C: 11mgCalcium: 41mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!