Spinach and Mushroom Whole Wheat Crepes
Scramble recipe tester Elana Berzon-Ezzel said, “These were EXTREMELEY easy to make! I was worried the kids wouldn’t eat it because they don’t like mushrooms or cooked spinach, but they ate it up.” If you have any leftover batter, cook them up plain and serve them drizzled with fresh lemon juice and topped with powdered sugar for dessert or filled with Nutella or jam.
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 8 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 tsp. minced garlic about 2 cloves
- 8 oz. baby spinach
- 3 oz. goat cheese cut into chunks
- In a blender (or in a bowl with a whisk), combine the milk, water, eggs, 2 Tbsp. melted butter (1/2 the butter), 1/4 tsp. salt and the flour and blend it until fully combined (but don’t over mix.) Set the batter aside.
- Heat a medium to large heavy skillet over medium heat, and when it is hot, add 2 tsp. of butter. When the butter is bubbling, add the mushrooms and remaining salt and stir to coat. Saute them for 5 minutes until the release their juices.
- Add the garlic and stir it in for 30 seconds until it is fragrant.
- Add the spinach, let it wilt for a minute or two, and then stir in the goat cheese and continue cooking for 1 more minutes until the goat cheese is evenly spread through the mixture. Turn the skillet to the lowest heat.
- In a crepe pan or small to medium (8 – 10-inch) nonstick skillet, heat 1/2 tsp. of butter and when it is bubbling, add 1/4 cup of the batter and tilt the pan to spread it out thinly. Let it cook for 1 – 1 1/2 minutes until the edges are fully cooked.
- Put about 1/4 cup of spinach-mushroom filling down the middle of the crepe, and fold the sides of the crepe over the filling to make a log shape.
- Set it aside on a serving platter and cook the rest of the crepes, adding 1/2 tsp. of butter after every other crepe if needed. Serve immediately.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Prepare and refrigerate the batter, slice the mushrooms if necessary, peel the garlic, cut the goat cheese and refrigerate. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/2 tsp. dried thyme with the mushrooms, squeeze a little fresh lemon juice over the crepes or the filling or drizzle a little balsamic syrup (reduced balsamic vinegar) or pomegranate syrup over the crepes. Tip: If you buy goat cheese in a larger quantity and want to make sure the extra doesn’t go to waste, you can freeze it. Just cut the cheese into 1 or 2 ounce pieces, tightly wrap each piece in plastic wrap and then put them in a freezer safe bag. Allow the cheese to thaw in the refrigerator for about 24 hours prior to using. Nutritional Information per Crepe (% based upon Daily Values): Calories 171, Total Fat 8.5g, 13%, Saturated Fat 5g, 24.5%, Cholesterol 64.5mg, 21.5%, Sodium 254.5mg, 10.5%, Carbohydrate 16.5g, 5.5%, Dietary Fiber 4g, 15.5%, Sugar 2g, Protein 6.5g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!