Steamed Rice with Caramelized Onions
A fun, simple spin on rice that will make dinner just that much more exciting.
- 1/4 yellow onion diced
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. curry powder optional
- 2 cups water or use broth
- In a heavy saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, sauté the onions in the oil over medium heat until the onions are lightly browned.
- Add the rice, salt, and curry powder (optional) and stir the rice to coat the grains with the oil.
- Add the water or broth, bring it to a boil, and simmer the rice, covered, for 15 - 20 minutes, or according to the package directions.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 200, Total Fat: 4g, 5%; Saturated Fat: 1g, 3%; Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%; Sodium: 150mg, 6%; Total Carbohydrate: 38g, 13%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 4%; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 3g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!