Thai Herb Grilled Chicken
Fresh herbs are fantastic for boosting the flavor (and nutrition) of salads, pastas, marinades, smoothies, iced tea, cocktails and just about anything else I can think of. Pulverizing them in a food processor or blender makes their flavors really burst, as in this marinade.
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1/3 cup fresh mint
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce (or use any variety) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 Tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 1 - 2 lime juice only, 2 – 4 Tbsp.
- 1 jalapeno or other hot chili pepper halved, seeded (a grapefruit knife works well), and coarsely chopped (optional)
- 3 lbs. boneless chicken thighs or use bone-in or boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- In a food processor (a mini one works well for this) or blender, combine the fresh herbs, garlic, soy sauce, oil, lime juice, and peppers (optional).
- Put the chicken in a large flat dish with sides, and poke holes in the flesh with the tines of a fork. Spoon the marinade over the chicken, cover it, and marinate it in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours, turning it once or twice.
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat (or preheat the broiler if you are cooking inside), remove the chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade, and grill the chicken, covered, for 7 – 10 minutes until it is nicely browned on the bottom (if you are using a broiler, place the chicken on a baking sheet and put it into the oven for 7 - 10 minutes until it is nicely browned on the bottom).
- Flip the chicken, spoon the remaining marinade over it, cover, and cook it for about 7 more minutes until it is cooked through and browned on both sides. Transfer the chicken to a clean dish and serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions
- There's no need to marinate the chicken in advance. Prepare the marinade as directed and place in the slow cooker. Add the chicken, turning several times to coat it with the marinade. Cook it on low for 5 - 6 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel the garlic, juice the lime(s), seed and chop the pepper if using, prepare the marinade and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, or fully prepare and refrigerate the chicken. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use the hot chili pepper and leave its seeds in for extra spice, add 1/2 tsp. lime zest to the marinade. Tip: Once you put your food on the grill, make sure to close the lid. Keeping the lid down will help to maintain the temperature needed for proper cooking. It will also help to deepen the flavors and maintain the juices in your food. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 374, Total Fat: 25g, 38%; Saturated Fat: 7g, 31.5%; Cholesterol: 180mg, 60%; Sodium: 480mg, 20%; Total Carbohydrate: 3g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 0g, 0%; Sugar: 0g; Protein: 40g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!