Thai Rice Pot with Mushrooms and Peppers
This is a flavorful one pot meal suggested by Scramble fan Vicki Taylor. It’s very healthy and satisfying for all ages.
- 2 tsp. peanut or vegetable oil
- 8 oz. sliced fresh shiitake or conventional mushrooms or use 2 - 4 oz. dried shiitake (see Tip)
- 2 bell peppers (different colors), thinly sliced
- 1 lb. lean ground pork, turkey, or meatless crumbles
- 3/4 cup white rice (not quick-cooking)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety) or use one 14.5 oz. can plus 1 1/2 oz. of water
- 3 Tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce (or use any variety) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 4 scallions dark and light green parts, sliced
- 1 cup shredded (matchstick cut) carrots
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped (optional)
- 1/2 lime juice only, 2 Tbsp.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and peppers and sauté them, stirring occasionally, until they are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a stockpot with a tight-fitting lid, heat 1 tsp. oil over medium heat and brown the meat (if using meatless crumbles, add it with the rice and broth instead).
- Spoon off the fat, if there is any, and add the sautéed mushrooms and peppers, the rice, broth, ½ cup water, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring it to a boil, reduce the heat and cover it. Simmer it without removing the lid until the rice is fully cooked, 15 - 20 minutes (depending on your rice’s directions).
- Stir in the scallions, carrots, cilantro (optional) and lime juice and serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 2 days.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Omit the oil. Combine the mushrooms, peppers, meat, broth, soy sauce, salt and pepper in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or on high for 3 - 3 1/2 hours. Add the rice and ½ cup water, stir to combine, and cook on high for 30 - 45 minutes more, until the rice is tender. Stir in the scallions, carrots, cilantro (optional) and lime juice just before serving. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Slice the mushrooms if using fresh or soak them if using dried (see Tip), slice the bell peppers and scallions, shred the carrots if necessary, chop the cilantro if using, juice the lime, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Serve it with sweet or hot Asian chili sauce. Tip: Shiitake mushrooms, which are generally large and meaty, work in stir-fries and soups. If you use the dried variety, soak them first in 2 cups of warm water for about 10 minutes. That water can then be added to the pot with the broth (use the same total amount of liquid as the directions call for) for extra flavor. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 280, Total Fat: 18g, 28%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 30%; Cholesterol: 55mg, 18%; Sodium: 680mg, 28%; Total Carbohydrate: 12g, 4%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 8%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 17g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!