Three Pepper Flank Steak with Red Onions
These ranch-style steaks, suggested by my friend Sherri Holdridge, don’t require a mesquite barbeque to taste smoky and flavorful.
- 2 lbs. flank steak
- 1 red onion finely diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder or cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried sage or use rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Lay the steak flat in a large dish with sides. Prick the meat in several places with the tines of a fork. Spread the onions on top of the steak.
- In a large measuring cup, combine the remaining ingredients and stir them thoroughly with a fork or whisk. Pour the mixture over the steak, and flip the meat several times to coat it. Marinate the steak and onions, refrigerated, for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat the broiler and set the rack about 4 inches from the heat source. Remove the steak from the marinade and set it on a broiling pan, letting the sauce and onions fall back in to the marinating dish. Reserve the marinade and onions.
- Broil the steak on the first side for about 4 minutes for medium-rare (or 5 – 6 minutes for medium).
- Remove the meat from the oven, flip it, and top it with the marinade and onions, spreading the onions evenly over the meat.
- Return it to the broiler for 5 – 6 more minutes until the onions are browned and the steak is cooked to desired doneness.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board (let it rest for 3 - 5 minutes, if time allows) and slice it against the grain to serve it. Serve it topped with any remaining sauce and the onions from the pan. (Do not use the marinade from the raw meat unless you have boiled it for 1 – 2 minutes to kill any potentially harmful bacteria.)
Slow Cooker Directions
- There's no need to marinate the steak in advance. Combine the marinade ingredients in the slow cooker. Add the steak and onions and turn over several times so that they are well coated with the marinade. Cook on low for 6 - 7 hours or on high for 3 - 4 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Dice the onion, make the marinade and marinate the steak in the refrigerator. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add 1/4 tsp. black pepper to the marinade. Tip: If you buy protein like beef or chicken in bulk and freeze it, make sure to put the date on each package so you can use the oldest ones first. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 290, Total Fat: 16g, 25%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 25%; Cholesterol: 75mg, 25%; Sodium: 310mg, 13%; Total Carbohydrate: 4g, 1%; Dietary Fiber: 1g, 4%; Sugar: 3g; Protein: 31g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!