Skip to Content

Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Tomatoes

Sharing is caring!

Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Tomatoes

Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Tomatoes

Jessica Braider
This fun recipe is great for a time-pressed weeknight, and can easily be doubled for bigger families.
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Course Main Dish
Cuisine American, Italian, Mediterranean
Servings 5 servings


  • 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
  • 32 oz. reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (or use any variety)
  • 9 oz. whole wheat or regular cheese tortellini (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) (sold refrigerated)
  • 15 oz. diced tomatoes with their liquid
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. dried basil
  • 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
  • 3 cups baby spinach or use Swiss chard
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or to taste


  • In a stockpot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the garlic for 1 minute, then stir in the broth.
  • Bring it to a boil, and then add the tortellini, tomatoes, pepper, basil, and oregano.
  • Reduce the heat to keep it at a low boil for 7 minutes.
  • Add the spinach. Simmer it for 2 more minutes, then remove it from the heat and serve it immediately, topped with Parmesan cheese.

Slow Cooker Directions

  • Add all ingredients except the tortellini and Parmesan cheese to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 - 10 hours (this can simmer all day). Add the tortellini 30 minutes before serving. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)


Do Ahead or Delegate: Peel the garlic, combine the spices, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate.
Scramble Flavor Booster: Add an extra clove of garlic and double the black pepper. Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Tip: Do your kids love tortellini like mine do? While you are whipping up the soup, why not prepare an extra package of tortellini, which you can then use for lunches during the week!
Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 254, Total Fat: 10g, 16%; Saturated Fat: 3g, 16%; Cholesterol: 36mg, 12%; Sodium: 431mg, 18%; Total Carbohydrate: 27g, 9%; Dietary Fiber: 7g, 27%; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 13g
Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Keyword 30 Minutes (or less) Meals, All, Dinner, Fall, Gluten-Free, High Fiber, Kid-Friendly, Kosher, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Main Dish, Make-Ahead, No Added Sugar, Nut-Free, Slow Cooker, Soups & Stews, Spring, Summer, Super Scramble Express (20 minutes or less total), Vegetarian, Winter
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Recipe Rating

    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop