Tortellini Tossed with Fresh Mozzarella
This authentic Italian pasta dish can be made with any type of pasta, but my family likes it with tortellini.
- 16 oz. tortellini filled with pesto or cheese (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion diced about 1 cup
- 2 cloves garlic minced, about 1 tsp.
- 28 oz. whole tomatoes with their liquid
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp. sugar optional
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped, or use 1 Tbsp. dried
- Cook the tortellini according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and sauté them for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, red pepper flakes (optional), black pepper, and sugar (optional) (if using dried basil, add it now), and simmer it until the pasta is ready, using a wooden spoon or spatula to cut the tomatoes into smaller pieces while they cook.
- When the tortellini is done, drain it, put it in a large metal bowl, and toss it with the sauce.
- When it has cooled for 2 - 3 minutes, add the mozzarella and fresh basil and toss it again. (This prevents the mozzarella from melting too much and getting stringy.) Serve it immediately or refrigerate it for up to 3 days.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Combine all ingredients except the tortellini, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours. Add the cheese and basil to the slow cooker 15 minutes before serving. Serve over cooked tortellini. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the tortellini and toss with a little oil to prevent sticking, dice the onion, peel the garlic, combine the red and black pepper and the sugar if using the optional seasonings, make and refrigerate the sauce, dice the cheese and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Use the red pepper flakes, extra basil, and top the tortellini with freshly ground black pepper before serving it. Tip: Fresh mozzarella can usually be found in the deli department of supermarkets (often soaking in water), or with gourmet cheeses. It has a creamier texture than the shredded mozzarella. Though more expensive, it’s a great occasional treat. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 290, Total Fat: 10g, 15%; Saturated Fat: 5g, 25%; Cholesterol: 50mg, 17%; Sodium: 530mg, 22%; Total Carbohydrate: 34g, 11%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 8%; Sugar: 6g; Protein: 15g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!