Turkey Parmesan Meatloaf with Red Peppers
Scramble fan Sherri Holdridge shared her family’s favorite meatloaf recipe with us. I love it because it has a good amount of healthy veggies and lots of flavor from the Parmesan cheese and mustard so it doesn’t need any extra salt. Scramble recipe tester Nancy Bolen said her family thought this recipe tasted like “a giant meatball.”
- 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red, orange, or yellow bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 2 lbs. ground turkey, dark meat works better
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (use store-bought or homemade) (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed) or use quick-cooking oats or ¼ cup of each
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (use wheat/gluten-free if needed)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning or use 1/4 tsp. dried basil and 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium to medium-high heat and sauté the peppers and onions until they are softened, 5 – 7 minutes. Remove them from the heat and let them cool for a minute or two.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the remaining ingredients and stir in the onions and peppers.
- Transfer the mixture to the center of the baking dish, and using clean hands, shape it into a rectangular loaf.
- Bake it for 45 minutes until it is firm and cooked through (internal temperature should be 165 degrees). If time allows, let it cool for 10 minutes or so before serving, or refrigerate it for up to 3 days (cold meatloaf sandwiches are delicious), or slice and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Sauté the bell peppers and onions as directed, then combine and shape the loaf as directed right in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 3 - 5 hours. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)
Do Ahead or Delegate: Chop and saute the bell pepper and onion, grate the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, combine the spices, assemble and refrigerate the meatloaf, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the dish. Scramble Flavor Booster: Replace half the paprika with smoked paprika or cayenne pepper and serve the meatloaf with warm barbecue sauce. Tip: Avoid over-handling the meatloaf mixture, as this will affect the texture of the finished dish. Handle it just enough to combine the ingredients and shape the loaf. Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be! Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 257, Total Fat: 12g, 19%; Saturated Fat: 4g, 16.5%; Cholesterol: 71mg, 24%; Sodium: 317mg, 13%; Total Carbohydrate: 8g, 2.5%; Dietary Fiber: 2g, 6%; Sugar: 2g; Protein: 31g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!