Tuscan Farro, Vegetable, and White Bean Stew
- 1 cup farro perlato or use pearled barley
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh sage chopped
- 1/2 tsp. fresh or dried rosemary chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- 1 carrot finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced, about 1/2 tsp.
- 15 oz. canned cannellini or great northern beans drained and rinsed, or use 1 1/4 cup home-cooked white beans
- 28 oz. canned whole peeled tomatoes with their liquid
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/8 cup grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring two cups of water to a boil.
- Add the farro, salt, sage and rosemary and simmer it until the farro is al dente and all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a Dutch oven or large stockpot over medium heat, and add the oil.
- When it is hot, add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic, and sauté them for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are very tender.
- Add the beans, tomatoes and broth, cover it and bring it to a boil, remove the cover and simmer it for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, and breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Puree the soup using an immersion or standing blender, return it to the pot, if necessary, and add the farro.
- Serve it immediately, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste and topped with the cheese, if desired. Alternatively, drizzle each bowl with a little olive oil.
Slow Cooker Directions
- You will need at least a 5L slow cooker to make this recipe. Do not pre-cook the farro. Add all ingredients except the cheese to the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 - 9 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours and puree as directed above. If you prefer not to puree the soup with the farro, puree the soup 30 minutes before dinnertime, return the soup to the slow cooker, add the farro and continue cooking for 30 minutes more on high. (Slow cooker cooking times may vary—Get to know your slow cooker and, if necessary, adjust cooking times accordingly.)