Veggie-Packed Breakfast Burritos
These breakfast burritos came to me one weekend morning when I wanted to throw together a filling meal for the family before heading out for a day of active fun. They are so simple to prepare and great to take on-the-go for those crazy mornings when getting out of the house seems like a minor miracle.
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- 2 oz. baby spinach (about 2 cups), roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack or cheddar cheese
- 6 large whole wheat tortillas (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 cooking spray optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over a medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the eggs and move around with a spoon or spatula until they are scrambled and cooked through.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach, chili powder, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring constantly until the spinach has wilted.
- Place roughly 1/6 of the egg mixture in the lower middle portion of each tortilla and top it with about 1 Tbsp. of cheese. Fold in the sides of the tortilla over the filling and roll, tucking in the edges as you go. Put each burrito seam side down on the baking sheet.
- Spray each one with a little baking spray (if desired) to get a golden finish and baked for 10 - 15 minutes, until golden brown on top. Serve immediately, refrigerate for 3 days, or freeze for 3 months.
Do Ahead or Delegate: Chop the tomatoes and spinach, combine the spices, shred the cheese if necessary and refrigerate, or fully prepare and refrigerate or freeze the burritos. Scramble Flavor Booster: Increase the chili powder, add some dried oregano, serve with a hot sauce or salsa, and/or use a sharp Cheddar cheese. Tip: Refrigerating, freezing, and reheating burritos is a cinch! To refrigerate: store burritos in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to 3 days. To freeze: let them cool completely, then wrap each one individually in aluminum foil, and then place all of the burritos together in a large freezer bag. To reheat: take the foil off and reheat in a microwave, in one-minute bursts, for 1 – 4 minutes, flipping every minute, or reheat in a toaster oven at 350 degrees for 3 – 5 minutes if refrigerated or 12 – 15 minutes if frozen. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 357, Total Fat: 15g, 23%; Saturated Fat: 6g, 30%; Cholesterol: 175mg, 58%; Sodium: 449mg, 19%; Total Carbohydrate: 42g, 14%; Dietary Fiber: 3g, 12%; Sugar: 1g; Protein: 13g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!