For a quick and light meal, or even a meal-on-the-go for those late day sports practices or outings, here’s a recipe for VLTs that are so reminiscent of the real thing that none of our teenage testers knew the difference. Of course, these are also great when made with “real” bacon.
- 5 oz. veggie bacon strips or use turkey or pork bacon
- 2 tomatoes
- 8 leaves iceberg lettuce
- 16 slices whole wheat bread (use wheat/gluten-free, if needed)
- 6 Tbsp. reduced-fat mayonnaise (or use any variety), or to taste (optional)
- 1 avocado optional
- 8 colorful toothpicks optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bacon strips on a baking sheet for 12 - 15 minutes until they are crispy, flipping them once.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the tomatoes and separate the lettuce leaves for the sandwiches.
- Toast the bread and spread mayonnaise on one side of each bread slice (alternatively, mash some avocado on the toasted bread).
- Assemble the sandwiches with the bacon, lettuce, and tomato (and sliced avocado, if desired). Slice the sandwiches in half diagonally, and insert a colorful toothpick in each half (optional).
Do Ahead or Delegate: Cook the bacon and refrigerate, slice the tomatoes, separate the lettuce leaves, and slice the bread if necessary. Scramble Flavor Booster: Add the avocado or mix 1/4 tsp. wasabi powder or paste or creamy horseradish into the mayonnaise. Tip: While iceberg lettuce adds a nice crunch to this sandwich, if you want to use a lettuce that is more nutrient dense, opt for something darker such as romaine. Nutritional Information Per Serving (% based upon daily values): Calories 270, Total Fat: 15g, 23%; Saturated Fat: 2g, 10%; Cholesterol: 5mg, 2%; Sodium: 570mg, 24%; Total Carbohydrate: 27g, 9%; Dietary Fiber: 5g, 20%; Sugar: 11g; Protein: 8g Like this recipe? Check out The Scramble's family-friendly meal plans to see just how simple getting dinner on the table can be!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!